Hurricane Irma

September 6, 2017

To: Briarcliffe Acres Residents

Re:  Hurricane Irma

I had a telephone meeting with the County Emergency Management group and other Horry County towns at noon today.  I know everyone is following the hurricane’s progress and we do not want to be alarmist.  We just want to be prepared.

The County will make a decision on evacuation on Thursday.  There will be another telephone conference at noon on Thursday.  They expect that they will recommend evacuations to begin on Saturday.  If Irma continues on its current path, it will remain over water and track up the East Coast.  If it does continue the coastal course, the County expects it to be a Category 2 or 3 when it reaches here.  If so, the evacuations will be mandatory.

Our evacuation route is Highway 22 and then 501 North.

It was also recommended that Councils meet and declare a state of emergency on Friday if the current track continues.

We will keep you informed regarding the County and State actions and recommendations.

Huston Huffman